Wednesday 21 May 2008

2.restaurants.1.hairdresser

Yesterday was treat-myself day. Sort of. Kinda unplanned. In a way.

Treat One: Lunch at Killermont Polo Club, Maryhill Road

Last minute lunch decision was more than likely to celebrate one of the Commercial Lead’s last working day as a bachelor.

The choice - Killermont Polo Club.

Located just off Maryhill Road within a lush compound was the club house.

Since I’ve never been to this place, I didn’t expect the Polo Club to serve Indian cuisine. The aroma of curry when you first step into the premise throws me off whatever I was expecting.

Nonetheless, I was awed and taken away by the polo related décor, tastefully done thus making this place full of character.

The gang was a bit disappointed that the Polo Club did not serve buffet lunch on a Tuesday, instead in place, a three course set lunch.

I had the Chicken Tikka Orange for starters, followed by the South Indian Garlic Chilli Prawns served with boiled rice and finished off with Ice Cream and Gulab Jamun. We also ordered a few naan breads to share.

I was actually torn between the Chicken Tikka Orange and choice of Prawn or Mushroom Poori. Typically, you will want what you didn’t get. The starter portion was larger than expected and tastes really good.

My favourite was the main meal. There was a choice between prawns and king prawns, but I went for the prawns instead. I actually prepared myself to a dish with lots of small prawns but was pleasantly surprised with the generous good sized prawns. The curry was just to my liking, full of flavour and spicy enough but not too overpowering.

Dessert was simple, good portion and equally tasty Ice Cream with Gulab Jamun. I also had a refreshing mango lassi which you can taste and know that it was homemade.

For three courses inclusive of drinks and tips at £12, it was definitely value for money - so much so their ‘customer satisfaction’ bell deserved a ring.

Treat Two: Haircut at Barry Pollock’s Hairdressing (unisex), West George Street.

Since I’m going away on holiday and my hair was in need of a hair cut, I decided to head to Barry’s.

I must admit that the sign outside of the premise informing that customers do not always necessary require an appointment lures me there. Plus, I hardly know Glasgow or any other hairdresser for that matter.

The basement outlet was bigger than expected when seen outside. My arrival there was greeted warmly by the owner Barry.

We discussed what I wanted and he gave his professional suggestion, and off I go to get my hair shampooed and then back on the styling chair.

I’m a little envious of those who interact greatly with their hairstylist and every staff for that matter, but at Barry’s although the conversation wasn’t as fast paced or continuous, it was good enough to leave me with a very positive impression. After all, I don’t normally interact much with my stylist either.

Before I knew it, Barry was sweeping away a big pile of my hair, some easy styling and I was done.

Overall, the staff at Barry’s are very friendly and you feel very welcomed even though it was my first time there. I liked how Barry does not hold back on advices and shared his opinion from what style to cut to how to style your hair.

I think the price for cut and wash was reasonable as well at £35 for a smack in the city centre location. I will definitely go back there again.

I like my shorter hair now, just have to get use to having a fringe in my face.

However, the ultimate challage, I must say, is the hairwash after the cut. We shall wait and see.

I was given a ‘recommend a friend card’ where the friend and person who recommends the friend will both get a 25% discount for colour, cut, and wash.

Anyone interested? Drop me a line so I can pass it to you.

This nine month old business also has a nail bar, so you can have a beauty day out if you want.

Treat Three: Dinner at Nanakusa, Sauchiehall Street.

Sabrina and I finally made it to Nanakusa after initially planning to go there in February.

Nanakusa serves, as you can guess it, Japanese food. However, I must admit that going there after an unexpected heavy-ish lunch wasn’t really helpful.

Now, typically Japanese food is often associated with raw fish. However, that preconception is wrong. After all, native Japanese don’t eat sushi every day!

It took me a long time to decide what I wanted as I was lost for choice. Given the chance, I wanted to order everything on the menu!!

Nanakusa serves a good variety of reasonably priced starters, a big selection of noodles, soup and teppan - soba, ramen and udon, rice dishes, bento boxes and sushi.

Nonetheless, I had the Una Don - Unagi (eel) and fried egg with rice in a huge bowl, whilst Sabrina had the Ten Don - Assorted Tempura and fried egg with rice. We shared a portion of California Maki and Soft Shell Crab Maki.

The food was very tasty and filling, not sure if the huge rice bowl played a psychological role or not.

The décor of Nanakusa was an eclectic one. You get the original Victorian decorated ceiling with skylights, club like multi-coloured panels and simple contemporary Japanese styled tables and benches.

Since we haven’t seen each other for months, the catch up and gossip was the highlight of course. We stayed until the green tea stop coming, a sign that they prolly had enough of us there.

Dinner at £28 inclusive of tips and good banter was indeed a good treat.

Both of us long to pile up the colourful plates at Sushi King when we return to Malaysia. Luckily for Sabrina, she will be doing that before I do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzi said...

Hey Suzanne
I'm getting my hair done at Barry Pollocks next week- any chance of that discount card?
Suzi C

Suzanne said...

Hi Suzi, thanks for dropping by.
I would love to pass the card to you but I have no idea where I have placed it. Will look out for you and let you know.
Apologies for being so disorganised.

Suzi said...

Hey
No probs, don't worry if you can't find it. Thanks for replying,
Suzi

Suzanne said...

Suzi, I found the card.

Unfortunately, I just realised that there was an end date for the discount... June 08. Apologies.

I hope you enjoy your trip down to Barry's.

Unknown said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me. My homepage ...
hairdresser in Edinburgh