Wednesday 3 December 2008

the.story.so.far

TS teased the other day about my ‘exile’ in Malaysia.

I suppose it does all really seem to be an exile, which I can only hope it is not. You know, you don’t really want to joke about things like this.

My worries and stress started months ago, when I embarked on this journey in obtaining my working visa.

What appeared to be an easy, straightforward process had grown arms and legs, at least that is how I felt.

Should it not have just been a swap in visas?

Could it not have been done in UK?

And let’s not get started with the other issue that really disturbed me.

To the unknown, to get a working visa in UK, one will first need a work permit. With this work permit, Malaysians who plan to work in the UK requires an entry clearance, or what is also known as a visa. (But then all changed on 27th November as well...)

After weeks of fretting and worrying the possibility of getting the work permit, there were issues that could render complication with the work permit, I was relived to obtained it.

My initial plans of coming home to attend SA’s graduation and play tour guide to TOH, has turned into a tri-purpose trip as I was required to submit my visa application in KL.

So there was the commotion of preparing all documents ensuring that I have all required before the journey home, and any other preparation to ensure that the visa will be obtained in the shortest time possible.

In my mind, I was thinking that three days was all it takes to get the visa. After all that was the case in the past. But past it was.

When I submitted my application, I was told that it would take minimum 10 days to maximum 30 days to process.

Yikes! 10 days?!

But I didn’t have a choice. I NEEDED it. I needed this visa. So 10 days it was.

But then 10 days came and gone.

They said it was now minimum 20 days to maximum 30 days.

Great...

But then 20 days came and gone too.

So has my trip to Dubai. So has TOH returned to UK. And I’m stuck here.

And now even mom and SA has flew off to Glasgow – seems like we are each house sitting for the other.

I’ve spoken to and emailed the visa centre on numerous occasions; I’ve even got myself in the firing line of the British High Commission’s telephone operator – oh yes, she barks!, but there was nothing.

No one could give me a definite or even a tentative answer. No one knows which stage of the process it is in. No seems to want to help. No one could give any advice nor any reassurance. Nothing. Zilch.

Poor? If you are in my shoes, I’m not sure if poor is the word to describe it.

I try to empathise with them - issues with their system and the backlog of work; issues with the change in visa application; and anything else I can think of - a blocked toilet?

But all I want is a definite answer.

At what stage is the application at?

How long more is it going to take?

When will I receive my passport and visa?

Is there anything else you need from me?

Why is it taking so long?

What can I do to speed up the process?

I just need questions like this answered.

Unfortunately it seems that no one really gives much of a toss, or so it seems. Thankfully there are the few who are very supportive and encouraging.

But, there are still not many people who would understand and just feel that all this is just procedure, that this is how things work. That it is other and not me.

I’ve been absent from work for three weeks now. My work is piling up. I’ve missed out on quite a lot for my RICS APC training. And more importantly do I still have a job when I get back?

I can only solemnly hope so.

Yes. Who would have thought that it would be so complicated?

I just want to be back to the job I love, to be with the people I love, to the place I love and to spend Christmas with my family.

I know this is a long post. A post of what have been bottled inside for the past six months. Yes, six long months.

I’ve never really wanted to say much about it for all this while as I don’t want to jeopardise the approval of my visa.

But I feel wretched and I feel hopeless.

I just need answers and results.

I just want all this to be over.

Anyone out there can help?


No comments: