Wednesday 25 April 2007

what is love?

We had one of the longest Rotaract meeting last night. And I remembered telling clearly to James that when I chair the meeting, it will be a short one since I normally try to finish it as soon as possible and not making it a drag. Well, I would say it was a very good meeting and I hope the rest didn't think it was a drag.

Anyways, after the meeting, the guys (Chris R and Emmanuel) and I stayed for a drink (which turned out to a few!) and we had quite an interesting chat. Amongst all that we had chatted, one topic that keep resurfacing was 'love'.

What is love?

To Emmanuel, love was this strong feeling that you have for each other. And he thinks that it does not take one long to know if they are in love or not. Our guy of love-at-first-sight-and-I-know-whether-I-love-you-or-not. I agree with him to a certain degree that you may know whether you love this one person or not in quite an early stage. But then again... it could be just attraction.

Chris believes that you need to spend a considerable time with someone before you know that you love that person. And you know you love that person when you want to spend the rest of your life together forever - not just five years or ten years.

As I listen to the guys debating each of their definition of love, I just can't stop wondering is there a 'right' definition of love? How do you know it is love and not infatuation?

A quick check up on infatuation and love provided some food for thought.

As for me? You can be attracted to someone in a matter of seconds, go through the stages of infatuation and when you accept the good as well as the bad of the person and know that no matter what, you would not want to change anything of that person, knowing that you want to spend the rest of your life together - that is love.

I don't think people are meant to be by themselves. That's why, if you actually find someone you care about it's important to let go of the little things. Even if you can't let go all the way. Because nothing sucks more than feeling all alone no matter how many people are around. ~ J.D. Scrubs 'My T.C.W.'

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8

The definition of love would be different for everyone, so what is yours - what is love?

Drink log: 3 pints of Guiness Extra Cold, 1 Irish Car Bomb

No comments: