Saturday 23 June 2007

pessimism

Food for thought:

How much disappointment can one take?

How much rejection can one take?


I know I'm terrible at things like this, especially rejection.

I remembered while working as a tele-consultant (glamourous name) I couldn't take the amount of rejection from the clients. Okay, no doubt I cannot expect all my clients to buy the product that they only heard of, didn't see it, plus to give their card details over the phone to a total stranger. This is totally not a norm in Malaysia not even KL, at least that was like years ago... wow.. come to think about it, its almost 10 years ago... oooerr...

So I thought with my 'would you like a jaffa cake?' or 'snacktime biscuits?' practice of rejections, I thought I have mastered it.

Well, sadly no, I guess. It was more like after a while you become like a drone, just asking for the sake of asking and don't bother about what the person says... Sad but reality.

Recently I was told that I didn't get my dream job. I was told that I was second in line and if they could hire the top three they would have and la di la... Was I disappointed? Sad? Upset? In a way I was but somehow I was numbed. I was told of how good I was and all but missed out by a few points. Still I was numbed. Maybe it was the waiting. Maybe I sort of expected for the worst.

Anyways... the point of this entry was that how do one cope with disappointment? With rejections?

Are we supposed to live life in 'the worst case scenario'? Always think things pessimistically?

In a away could it be a self defence mechanism?

Do we have to think for the worst so that it would not go any worst than what we hope for?

See, if anything 'better' happens, it will always be a relief to whatever was expected in the first place.

Sometimes I see myself being that 'worst case scenario' person. Being ahead of myself thinking of 'what ifs'.

On the other hand its not easy. Me being me, I always believed in the silver lining. The something behind every grey cloud.

Okay, there are times that I need reassurance from people close to me.

But overall isn't it better to think optimistically?

Which I know I am that person.

Which I need to find where is she.

Which I know that whatever or no matter how bad things are she will still strive and stand up to face another day.

Which no matter what she still love life, whatever the situation may be.

No comments: