Thursday 21 June 2007

tuesday

I love my Tuesdays. More or less every second Tuesdays. There's always something interesting that is happening. Rotaract maybe?!

Just this Tuesday, I decided to take my new bike out for a ride. Well, the bike isn't exactly new. I actually borrowed it from SH since he was going away to Dundee, so I thought well, he hasn't been using the bike and I'm needing some form of entertainment, plus Chris R said that he wants to plan to go to Orkney for a cycling trip.

Anyways, SH brought the bike over few days back. I finally decided to take it out for a spin.

The last time I was on a bike was during my trip to Japan. I remember we sort of borrowed someone's bike from the bike shed to go to Chiba New Town with my sis Suemae. Having not riden on a bike for eons I was so terrible at it. I guess maybe the fear of falling down or whatever else. But good thing about cycling in Japan is that you have purposed build cycling paths, unlike over here, the cyclist shares the same lane as the bus!!! Plus the pavements are much wider and padestrians are expected to walk on one side of the pavement so that the cyclist can go on the other.

So, my plan was to cycle to the bike shop 'round the corner to have a look at my back brakes, go to town to buy some stuff and then see SH for a while before coming home.

Truthfully, I haven't swear as much in a day as cycling on Tuesday. Every now and then the f-word would just slip out/blurted/whatever. Then there was should I be on the pavement or on the road debate. Also am I supposed to overtake the bus stopping at the lights on the right if I can't fit through the left.

I guess I was just so scared to feel anything. Most of all, I was trying to avoid falling on the busy streets! I won't be surprise drivers were possibly swearing at the nuisance that I was causing either.

SH said that I was so mad to be cycling on Union Street! Its an experience no doubt. But I need to build more stamina as well as confidence to cycle. Making swift decisions to stay on/stay off/what route to take/etc.


I need some time to recover from the shock and bum ache as well! All in all the only so called injury I had was a bruise from flying off the bike. And that was just round the corner from my door! I can see the bruise on my knee now... :(

Later, I went to the Rotaract's End of Year BBQ at Seaton Park. Sadly, at the mention of Seaton Park, many just frown or decline the invitation. You see, Seaton Park does not have a very good reputation as it is patronised by some of the not so good crowds of Aberdeen.

However, it was good enough for us as 1. James lives just around the corner from the park. 2. It is closer to most members of the club. Most not all. I lived like possibly the furthest from it.

Quoting Chris R's word to me in his email 'be there or be square' was kinda true. We all had a great time! It was great that one brave Rotarian turned up. There were possibly twelve of us turned up all in all. The site was great, at the end of Seaton Park by the River Don. It was a beautiful day considered the day before wasn't that nice.

We had four disposable BBQs, sadly one died on us. It would have been better to have more but I wasn't sure how much we really need. We had M&S burgers courtesy of SH. It was really fine burgers, didn't stick on the BBQ compared to some that I've cooked before. It's not just burgers, it's M&S burgers.

We also have sausages, prawns, chicken wings, buns/soft baps as they called it here, and some pork skewers. I think there was a good amount of food. But if we had more heat/BBQs we would have cooked all the food. And typically you get people who don't RSVP turning up. Sigh... it's the same culture everywhere!

We also build a fire gathering wood from the nearby forest/woods. The guys played some soccer or ball kicking around as well as some good old American football.

After cooking, I did my bit going to the woods to collect twigs for the fire. There wasn't much proper wood to be found either. I was so glad that there were no creatures in the woods, such as leeches (compared to forrests in Malaysia), I was only wearing shorts and slippers! It was good fun thought, brought back loads of memories of my scouting/camping days.

We cooked marshmallows by the fire. Sat around it chatting. Shared our dreams and some secrets. We started at 6:30pm and didn't leave until after midnight. It was still bright with light at 11pm. We sang Katherine her birthday song at midnight. Bade farewell to those who were leaving Aberdeen. Did our simple handover of Presidency of the club. All not in that particular order.

It was a good night no doubt. I'm putting this in our plan for next year! We should do an annual BBQ!!!

No comments: