Monday 28 May 2007

epic adventure


Ever since I found out that Pixar will be holding its 20 years exhibition in Scotland, I knew I wanted to go and see it. So I spoke to SH about it in March and we said we will go and see it. However, being the busy people we are (yeah right!) we never really make time for it.


So I said to The Shrink that come Tuesday when both of us are off we should make it our little trip. But alas! The exhibition is to end on Monday. So I was told to 'Go Alone. Yup, you should definitely go.' I was like 'what?!'

After some contemplation, I decided in a spur of the moment (sort of) on Saturday to go down to Edinburgh on a missions trip: to see the Pixar exhibition! Came home after work on Saturday and went to check out if the National Museum of Scotland (NMS) was opened on a Sunday or not. Lo and behold, they do! But I was confused whether it opened at 10am or 12noon.


Anyhows, I couldn't book any bus ticket online since it was passed 1am (on Saturday night). Quick check at the timetable and jot down the times as well as a quick look at where the museum was located, I was very certain that I am going.

Went to bed almost 2am but was so excited by my trip that I couldn't sleep (great!). Who knows only to stirred before 5am this morning! I want sleep!!!


Finally after a little more shut eyes, I got up and got ready. Armed with my handbag (that I am so loving to bits!!!) loaded with that paper I scribbled the bus times, a wee map of Edinburgh, my new book, packet of juice, bar of chocolate, my MD player with two discs, I was on my way to the bus station to catch the 735am bus. Yup, it was early alright.



The sun was pouring into the flat through the window only to be greeted with showers when I open the front door. Hmm... is this a good or bad sign?

No, I'm not going to let some rain stop me from my adventure!

When I arrived at the bus station, the ticketing office was not open and only the London bound bus was there.


Me, having never taken an intercity bus for as long as I have lived on this island was told by the bus driver that I should really book a ticket since its the weekend and busses can be really full. :( He then said he can take me to Dundee but he can't guarantee if there is a bus to Edinburgh from there or not. I was like okie... And he continued to say that I can wait for the officer to come to work at 915am and possibly take the 935am bus which means I would arrived in Edinburgh at 1240pm instead of 1040am. :'(


So I sat down at the seats. Whipped out my phone and frantically trying to book online (through the phone) as well as to find a contact number to call to purchase tickets but I can't get what I wanted and I couldn't imagine myself sitting idling a few more hours wasting time.


Somehow I had to take the risk.

Went up to the bus driver just as he was almost leaving and said 'Yup, I'll come on the bus'. Got on the bus: all excited!!! I was going on a trip! An unplanned trip! A total adventure! Gosh, I was actually nervous as well.



I continued to try and find tickets for my return journey from my phone and quickly send an email to my friend Claire to let her know that I was coming, just in case (God forbid!) that I was stranded in Edinburgh, I had a place to spend the night.

To side track a little, weeks ago, I finally managed to fiddle with my phone to access internet from it. It has just been so ace! Especially trying to catch up info from my Rotaract email account on quite a few issues on numerous occasions.

There I was, thrilled on my bus trip, my first all alone bus trip to Edinburgh. Okay, not that I've never travelled on my own, just that I've always met up with someone on the other end. And possibly its been too long since I travelled. My only agenda was to see the Pixar exhibition. Okay, and maybe some shopping. As I gazed out the window I am comforted to see the rainbow and take it as a sign as everything will be just fine.



Arriving Dundee I had to change bus for Edinburgh. Again, I got told off by the bus driver that I should really book a seat during the weekend. He sold me a return ticket (since the last driver as me to pay this guy) and off I am on my second leg of my journey.


I can't help thinking of what both drivers said to me. The fear and disappointment that they instill. I can understand that they are trying to protect themselves and myself, as well as the bus company, just because I didn't book doesn't mean the company has to provide me with a seat. And it makes me wonder how often in our lives we say to others 'I dare not promise you... but you may or may not get what you want...' even before anything is confirmed. I know at least in my line of work, I do have to tell my customers this at least a few times in a week.


As the bus drives through the familiar sights from my numbered drivings or journeys to Edinburgh: the Forth Rail Bridge, the Forth Road Bridge, and the roads leading to Edinburgh city centre; my thoughts go back to my very first time to Edinburgh. It was love at first sight!



I was there to attend a free church weekend gathering. We arrived late in the evening when the city lights came on. Maybe it was the hustle and bustle of the busy city - it reminded me of KL. Maybe it was the beautifully lit castle sitting on the rock (later I found out the rock used to be a volcano eons ago). Maybe it was the yellow sandstone on the buildings. Maybe it was the greens in the city. But for whatever the reason, I knew at that point: I loved Edinburgh!

Arriving in the city I love so much I had to grab some grub. Quick bite at McDs (its been a long time since I last had one, too long) and off I go to my destination: The National Museum!!! Funny as I was walking there I was walking in a place that seemed somehow too familiar to me. My feet just brought me to my destination. No maps. No hesitation. Home? I wonder...

The exibition was great! And I had a good browse of it. I'm very impressed with the rest of the exhibits in the museum as well. Not forgetting the new wing of the museum as well. The architecture, the design, the natural lighting, the sights, everything!



After the museum, I had a stroll down the Royal Mile. Along the way, I stopped at the Museum of Childhood, which I had always wanted to visit. I then continued my journey down the Mile. This time I was met with the Scottish Parliament and The Holyrood Palace, both places I've never been to after my numerous trips here. But nonetheless I've finally made it. Sadly I only met with the entrance of it since it was closed. Another missions trip?!


Then it was shopping and sitting in the sun before I knew it I was just so tired, due to the fact that I need sleep! Claire gave me a text to said that she will come and meet me. It was really funny 'cos we've actually not met before but exchanged daily emails for the past two weeks. My phone was dying after all that jabbing earlier in the day.


So I waited for her and later her friend Barry. Although it was a short meeting but it was great! Claire is a really nice gurl. Maybe I'll blog about her in another post and when I get to know her more as well.


It was not long before it was time for me to catch the bus home. We went to the bus station only to find that the bus I had to take was full! Panic attack ensued. I was told that I can get the next bus to Perth and then to Dundee and then to Aberdeen. Okay, so I stood in line for the bus. But then what if I can't get a bus to Aberdeen? Panic. Panic!


I was running between the queue of boarding the bus and the queue of booking a ticket, confirming my seat.

I had to do something. So I went to the ticket desk and ask them to book me a seat to Aberdeen. Only to find out that the day return ticket I got from the second driver only gives me a return to Dundee and not Aberdeen. Great! Well, I got the Aberdeen to Dundee leg free, I guess. So I paid for the booking fees and the Dundee to Aberdeen leg.


So there I was, sitting waiting for the 2050 bus. A text message came through and just that very moment my phone died. Drained of all its juices. Oh no! Who knows that I am out here? What if I didn't get to get a seat to go home? What if I really got stranded here? In Edinburgh? What about in Dundee? What is going to happen? Does anyone care? No one knows that I'm making this trip. (Well, I now realised that The Shrink and my friend Mark knows my intention but honestly, no one knew I was here. Okay except for Claire.) Of course, the drama princess in me have to fuss about this all. What to do?!

So, after more waiting and reading. I was off home. Holding the ticket, I was actually glad that I didn't have to stand aside and wait if there are anymore seats left so only I can get on the bus. After crossing the Forth Road Bridge, I dozed off. I changed bus in Dundee. It was so cold!!! Of course after boarding the bus onwards to Aberdeen I couldn't fall asleep anymore. So I read more.


Finally reached Aberdeen at midnight. After putting my phone to charge I read the message that I received. It was from The Shrink. He asked if I managed to go and see the exhibition. And I told him I almost got stranded. But thanks to him, I had a great time today!



I think this is a long enough blog and I will blog later about my firsts in this trip as well as the lessons that I've learnt.

All I want to do is to shower and go to sleep. But how can I resist not to blog this?

No comments: