Tuesday 8 May 2007

the green issue

Its almost half year and all you heard probably in the past six months or so was green issues, recycling, conservation, sustainability, environment, carbon footprint and la-di-la. Suddenly all these jargon that most of us probably seen in an architecture textbook or possibly never heard of are all over the media.

I'm not saying that it is not a good thing that people are aware of it. But somehow isn't it a little too late or... possibly better late than never? But then again, is it not more important that we action it than to speak about it? I wonder...

You see: supermarkets providing 'bag for life', Vanity Fair with its Green Issue, and BMW with its Hydrogen 7 car. What would we think about next?

The irony of it...

Have you ever noticed that in order to highlight green awareness, we spend more on printing beautiful, glossy leaflets or posters?

Somehow the numbers of junk mail through the post seems to increase and litter all over the hallway.

While being encouraged to use reusable bags or 'bag for life', we put our shopping into a normal carrier bag and then into these reusable bags?

We try to separate our rubbish but to throw them away we need to drive to the nearest recycling area which is 5 minutes by car?

To encourage people to take more public transport, the cost of public transport only goes one way: upwards.

And some of its route are not the most reliable either.


Funny how it seems that people who try to make an effort seems to be punished for their efforts.

Whenever I plan to go shopping, I will bring my own bags. I live alone and whats the point of having millions of carrier bags? Although I use them as bin liners, there are still quite a number to go through. Can you imagine people buying bin liners to throw their rubbish in. What a waste of money if they haven't notice by now. Can you also imagine people who take loads of bags from the supermarket only end up throwing them out in the bin?

I try to separate my rubbish but the council decided somehow our street is not provided with kerbside collection. wtf? So I end up separating the items in the flat, and when its time to throw out, it all goes in one bag. What's the point? And the nearest recycling point is half an hour walk. Sigh...

I'm not so into the organic food thing yet. But I can't deny that Hugh Fearnley–Whittingstall plays a part on my opinion of food.

Anyways, its rather interesting that I tried out turning down washing from 40°c to 30°c, does make a big difference. I normally wash on 'mix fabrics' program which I just realised that it was 50°c and takes about an hour or slightly more than it to wash. Now that I changed it to 30°c it takes half the time and still as clean. Also noticed that the clothes dry faster compared to using 'mix fabrics'. After all most of my clothes are cotton anyway. By washing from 40°c to 30°c I can save 40% of energy, knowing that I have change from 50°c to 30°c, I'm saving even more! Lets wait and see the electric bill.

Things to do next:

# Probably change all my electrical appliances to A or A-plus energy rating. Wouldn't this cost more? Again, consumers being punished for trying.

# Switch off instead of standby. I'm not sure if I could do this, for computer yes, tv... erm...

# Use energy efficient bulbs. Hmm... what if I don't switch on as many lights? Will it help? Is it the same? Again, buying bulbs, who pay? Everyone say: CONSUMER!

# Switch the oven off 10 minutes before end of cooking? Have they not heard of uncooked food?

Oh well, there will always be lots of ways for us to conserve energy. Eventually I will find something that is more suitable for my lifestyle. In the meantime, I can only do what I can do.

No comments: