Saturday 7 July 2007

special seven

The number 7 has always been something that I love.

I don’t know how you relate to a favourite number. For some there is a certain attraction. For others it is a matter of luck or fate.

I guess for me the number seven is part of me since it is the month that I was born in. Henceforth, my love for the number 7.

This year the 7th of July is certainly special. Cos if you look closely, it will be 07/07/07.

I remember at one point I had this ‘dream’ to get married on this day. It will be definitely one heck of a date that you won’t get again in another thousand years. Which I am very certain that I will not be around then.

But fate as it is, I’m not getting married on this day.

Last year, during my trip to Japan, I learnt that the seventh day of the seventh lunisolar calendar is also a day where Japanese celebrates the festival of Tanabata (七夕). Because the seventh month of the year roughly coincides with August rather than July, Tanabata is still celebrated on August 7th in some regions of Japan, while it is celebrated on July 7th in other regions.


The day celebrates the meeting of Orihime and Hikoboshi which are separated by the Milky Way (river). It is only on this day that they are allowed to meet only once a year. So it is a very significant and special day for lovers.

And me being me, that I’m such a sap when it comes to matters of romance, now feel that there is more to this day then ever!

Popular Tanabata custom is to write one’s wishes, sometimes in the form of poetry, on tanzaku (短冊) – colourful, small strips of paper, and hanging them on a specially erected bamboo tree, in the hope that the wishes become true.


So my wish for all of you who love me by reading my blog, I wish you good health, happiness and love always. xx

No comments: