Tuesday 4 December 2007

fifteen modern tales of attraction

I just finished Alison MacLeod’s Fifteen Modern Tales of Attraction.



I first picked up the book with Jonathan Tropper’s How to Talk to a Widower. I think what draws me to the book was the title. Being a sap for such love stories I thought ‘why not give it a go?’ After all it is just fifteen short stories.

Bear in mind, just because I am a sap doesn’t mean I normally fill myself with tons and tons of love stories or romance novels. I can hardly remember reading materials such as that, chick lit doesn’t count.

Anyways, I think it must be lethargy and plus the fact that I don’t make as much time spend reading Fifteen Tales compared to Widower.

I blame it on tiredness and because of this I feel that the stories can be a drag. I find that I spend a lot of time reading one paragraph over and over again.

In all fairness, some of the times are due to not catching what was written but many times, the writing is so good that I want to read it again and again.

Each story is different. When I first read the first story I was very impressed. It was somewhat abstract. Somewhat, because it is different from your typical narrative writing. I supposed this is what they call modern writing.

It is almost like watching one of those good film, that have a twisted storyline, the kind that turned out not what you thought it would’ve turned out.

With the lethargy and tiredness I struggled immensely trying to finish the book. In the end, it took me about two months to attempt to finish this book. Sadly, I think I skipped one or two stories.

But the last few stories that I read, that I had to make time to read it, I find it thoroughly enjoying.

My favourite stories are ‘So that the Land was Darken’, ‘Pilot’, ‘Notes for a Chaotic Century’ and ‘Radiant Heat’.

Overall, I think the writing is different from what I usually read. It is not a book I would rush out and buy or read again. I will read it again, maybe in future when I have nothing better to do.

The reviews for the book had been very good though. Maybe it’s just me that I’m not there yet or in the mood to read such books, yet. Maybe a few more practice reads.

After numerous renewing of the book, I thought the book was due on 2nd December. The question of whether the library is open on a Sunday did occur to me. I said to TOH that I will have to call the library to renew the book but I didn’t do it.

Finally, after rushing about trying to finish the book, I went into Anniesland Library, finished reading it there and then only to find out that the book was only due on 12th December.


I went in to the library to return one book and came out with six other books. It should be enough to see me through the holidays.

No comments: