Monday 21 January 2008

blue monday

Isn’t the UK a wonderful place?


Blue Monday marks the final full week in January when people experience a series of combined depressive effects.

Apparently it is the worst day of the year and it even has a mathematical equation by the astonishing (!) Dr. Cliff Arnall, the same guy who brought us the Happiness Formula.



W = weather
d = debt
T = time since Christmas
Q = time since failing New Year’s resolution
M = low motivational levels
Na = the feeling of a need to take action

Using the formula, Dr. Arnall calculated that this year’s worst day of the year is 21 January 2008, when the Christmas glow has faded away, New Year’s resolutions have been broken, cold Winter weather has set in and credit card bills will be landing on doormats across the land, whilst January pay-check is still one week away.

Thankfully I didn’t feel that the Christmas glow has faded for me. Maybe it does help that I have some Red Lanterns decorated for Chinese New Year and I received my first CNY card from Wai Yee over the weekend.

I didn’t really make any NY resolutions this year so I don’t feel that any has been broken. Goals (some sort) yes, but not really any resolutions.

As for cold winter weather, I hope the worst has gone past. It seems rather mild today even though it was pissing rain out there this morning and I left my brollie in the office last week. I came in with my long Nike jacket and Per Una hooded gilet. It wasn’t that bad, just the West Coast wet weather. I felt sorry for those living down south in England who are on high flood alert or are already experiencing floods.

Everyone has bills to pay and I’m not excluded. As much as it seems dreading for some, I’m actually looking forward to next week’s pay-check. It’s just ten more days to go..

I am an optimist (even though I worry too much! Got told off by TS last night that I worry too much @_@) and luckily I live in Scotland. Apparently Scots are the most optimistic of the lot; it’s good that the people around you are optimistic.


Check out Beat Blue Monday for more info.

Random stuff:
If you see a rather good looking and rather fit guy on crutches when he don’t normally use one, you can only assume that he had a skiing accident. Poor guy...

No comments: